Thursday, March 5, 2009

Strawberry fields of gold

Well, Ive been in a crappy mood for about a week now and even though I did not want to go anywhere I HAD to. You see once a year in my lil redneck hometown there is this festival that takes place with all its strawberry glory. If you cant tell Im obsessed with strawberries then you must be blind! Im not totally obsessed with them but they do play a big part in my life. My hubbys family, some were/some are strawberry farmers, and my families business provides liquid fertilizer to the local farmers (for a fee of course)as well as shipping all over the US and many other countries, my Pop started the company in his backyard shed. The town I was raised in is the winter strawberry capital of the world, and named after Henry B. Plant and railroad developer, and hence its named Plant City.
The festival Im referring to is the Florida Strawberry Festival. I have been every single year since I was born, we glorify all things strawberry. I have shown plants, and pigs, and cows, I have been in the parade (yes a parade in the name of strawberries), I have parked cars for the school to raise money, I have had my own booth set up for my scrapbook store to sell strawberry scrapbook stuff, and now I have the whole slew of the strawberry life to pass on to my son. My MIL was even the 1960 Strawberry Festival Queen, yes there is such a title I swear, proof below. So today since the festival ends on Sunday I HAD to take KC to the annual tradition before he missed out. I really have been enough to last my lifetime & then some, when I showed animals I was there off & on everyday, when I had a booth I lived there for 11 days from 9am until after 10pm EVERY night.
Last year was KCs first Strawberry Festival and I entered him in a decorated diaper contest, decorated by yours truly, and also in the Most Handsome Boy for age group 6-9 months. I decorated a diaper as Mickey Mouse, you wouldnt have guessed that right? but sadly we didnt win. KC did make it in the Top 5 for Most Handsome out of 32 baby boys. This year, no parade, no animals, no booth, no contests, just FOOD! KC was included with the food, he ate a corn dog, some funnel cake (against moms wishes), strawberry shortcake, ice cream, and root beer! He never never gets soda, but we got some old fashioned root beer out of this barrel so hubby wanted him to try it, he did but he didnt want to try it again.
When you go to the festival and youve lived here your whole life you know everybody, and everybody knows you. Thinking you can go on senior citizens day when theres not a big a crowd, at 1pm in the afternoon and not see anyone you know is a joke! The whopping 2 1/2 hours we were there we saw atleast 15 people we knew and had to stop & talk to. Did I mention I havent been in a great mood, and the thought of explaining my life in the past yr. to someone makes me nauseous. I smiled and talked and said exactly what I thought they wanted to hear so I could make it to my next snack shack as quickly as possible. I didnt come to talk, I came to eat! Wait no thats not right, I HAD to come to carry on the tradition with my son so he knows his strawberry roots, yes thats the reason. We did have a good time though, and Im glad we took KC.
Heres some pictures from last year and this year, mostly last year because my hands were to full for a camera too.

Mickey Mouse diaper I made it

What KC wore for Most Handsome

KC with his Meme, and former 1960 Strawberry Queen

In the strawberry throne

KC eating his corn dog this year.

2 comments:

Jill @ Sneaky Momma said...

What a fun tradition! I think it's wonderful that you have something that ties you in with everyone else in your community. I can imagine the small town closeness of it all. :)

Eugenia said...

Aww! Little KC is so adorable! Looks like ya'll had a good time! :)